Locale: Highgate Cemetary
1) You must be 16 years old to enter the crypt.
2) You're only allowed to enter the crypt once on the DotD.
3) Although you might be able to enter the pathway with 100% encumbrance, you won't actually enter the crypt when your journey ends . . . you get kicked out, back to the city. Some people claim this is no longer an issue but, I personally won't try it to find out.
4) The day officially begins at midnight on Tuesday (00:00 local time, London) and ends @ 00:00, Wednesday. You can enter the crypt anytime in that 24 hour period.
5) The crypt is located at the London Cemetery, Melvin's Last Stand normally called Highgate Cemetery. To enter click on Items and Equipment and you will see the path to use. It takes approximately 5 minutes of exploring after you use the Gate (Iron) to actually arrive at the Crypt.
6) When you enter the crypt it is like the St. Kobe's Day quests. You will have a choice of directions to go. You will not always be able to move in all directions and sometimes there is the added choice of up/down.
7) There is no need to actually look for zombies, they will find you. If you have a shotgun and ammo, the gun will keep shooting and even automatically reload until you are out of ammo.
8) The shotgun is the default weapon. When you run out of ammo you'll switch to your chainsaw if you have one. The chainsaw doesn't kill as many zombies as a shotgun but it's better than nothing.
9) If you don't have a Chainsaw and run out of ammo you might find ammo laying around. You don't have to look, your character will pick it up automatically if it is there.
10) Both the Shotgun & Chainsaw will deteriorate over time. It is believed the rate they wear down is based on the skill you have for that weapon.
11) The best way to score a lot of kills is obviously to have the essentials around: high skill levels, a shotgun with plenty of ammo, a chainsaw as backup and a zombie tracker with you. Although it is not necessary to have the Zombie Tracker with you, you will have a higher kill rate with it.
12) Staying in groups reduces the amount of zombies you can potentially kill. However, staying in groups you will survive longer. Running around aimlessly is risky. Try to move as little as possible to stay on top of the situation. Being alone in an area will make you scared. You might want to find some other people. Master Zombies tend to seek out locales with a lot of players in them. So stay clear of crowds if these guys scare you.
The crypt has items in it that can be used by certain people.
1) Jefe Tempe discovered a Fountain at the Dead End of the Long Spiraling Hallway. Leslie Brody used the Fountain when she had the Book of the Dead with her and it increased her health & mood ~%30 each. (NOTE: This artifact is a remnant of the old zombie hunt and only a few remain in the private possession of a few people.)
2) Juozapas Cavallari discovered the Monolith in the Center of the Burial Vaults. The Monolith says, "Three days, six feet under eternal glory be mine." Zoey James stayed in the crypt for 3 days and was able to use the Monolith. She received the "I ain't afraid of no zombies" secret achievement.
3)Rasmus Oja discovered that you need to use the Key to Necropolis to open a Gate at the Dead End of the Long Winding Hallway. No one is sure just what is in there . . . yet. (NOTE: This artifact is a remnant of the old zombie hunt and only a few remain in the private possession of a few people.)
It is totally safe to fly on airplanes with zombie hunting material - shotgun, ammo, tracker and is not a security issue.
Zombie Scratch: Small health loss - No need for a cure.
Some people may disagree with this so if you are really worried after being scratched, have a doctor check you.
Zombie Virus: You have ~90 minutes from the time of the bite before you will be infected with the virus and get a 10-15% health drop.
NOTE: If you are cured within that time you will not get the health loss or be infected with the virus.
However, if you actually contract the Zombie Virus you will take the health hit & if cured then bitten again you will suffer another health hit (unless cured before showing you have the virus.)
Unconscious: If you have the unfortunate luck of being in the same room when a Zombie Master appears, “I faint as I see the gates of hell opened by a master zombie. THE HORROR!,” you could end up in this state for a few minutes. Never fear, you will recover within ~15 minutes.
The London authorities have set aside Granaham Bed & Breakfast (a hotel) for people infected with the Zombie Virus. After leaving the crypt go there and post you are infected in the message linked in the first post or the doctors might not find you.
NOTE: If you have the Zombie Virus you won't show up in the "View Sick People" list at the hospital.
If your health or mood get below 15~20%, you have ~ 11 updates (“I'm hurt... I can't take this much longer.”) to boost them (using XP, rare zombie parts, VIP water, etc.) before you get automatically kicked out. Otherwise you can choose to leave anytim
Use of the "Perfect Health & Mood" (formerly known as the Perfect Remedy) while in the crypt. It has been reported that while you can use it when you are in the crypt, the effects will disappear when you leave the crypt. Please also note that it does not, nor has it ever, cured an disease you might have.
1) The skill B. Firearms will enhance the use of the shotgun (which comes with 10 shots.) Each shotgun round is also 10 shots. The higher your skill in firearms, the more kills per zombie encounter.
2) The skill B. Power Tools will enhance the use the chainsaw. The higher your skill in power tools, the more kills per zombie encounter.
3) The Zombie Tracker increases your zombie count the higher your skill in Paranormal Tracking Devices.
NOTE (Based on last year): A person skilled to 5* in all skills would average between 5-8 kills per encounter (based on other factors listed elsewhere.) A person with absolutely no skill in any of the hunting skill would still get 1 kill per encounter.
The "I ain't afraid of zombies" Achievement:
On DotD (PY47) Zoey James entered the crypt to hunt zombies. Imagine her surprise when the zombies didn't seem to want to have anything to do with her. After countless attempts to figure out why the zombies weren’t touching her she was convinced to try and stay in the crypt for 3 more days. Finally on Day 30 (PY47) she was able to use the Monolith.
Unlike others that have tried to stay in the crypt beyond DotD, the zombies still did not bother her. (Others report that after the official end of DotD the zombie attacks actually increased on them.)
For her heroic effort in the crypt she was rewarded with the "I ain't afraid of zombies" Achievement.
The reason she wasn’t attacked is still unknown and for the last few years a small number of people have not been attacked and also received the achievement. Others have entered the crypt towards the end of the day with mass quantities of health and mood boosting stuff and have managed to stay for the 3 days (1 person spent around $10,000,000 to achieve this.)
NOTE: The Monolith can be used on Day 31 (London time) of the Popoyear.
Shotgun & Cahinsaw (or one of them)
Ammo for shotgun
Items that might come in handy:
Items for health
You get 1-5 XP when you leave the crypt based on how many zombies you kill:
1 - 15 = 1 XP
16 - 80 = 2 XP
81 - 255 = 3 XP
256 - 615 = 4 XP
Over 631 = 5 XP
Killed my first zombie
Killed 100 zombies
Killed 500 zombies
Killed 1000 zombies
Killed 2000 zombies
Killed 4000 zombies
Killed 8000 zombies
Killed 16000 zombies
Killed 32000 zombies
Killed 64000 zombies
Killed 128000 zombies
I ain't afraid of zombies